Friday, June 1, 2012

Trail Magic

We love hiking.  We love standing at the top of the mountain, looking out in awe at the creativity of our Creator.  The colors He paints across the sky, the details He added to the trees, the rocks, even the bugs.

We've read accounts from other long-distance hikers, and one thing that each one mentions is trail magic.  They'll find themselves in low supply of water, and still far from the next place to fill their bottles.  They'll come to a crossing, and find jugs of water.  Or they've sprained an ankle and a kind person takes them to their home to rest.  The stories of trail magic are too many to count.

There's a bit of trail magic (er... community magic) happening in the adoption world, too.  Strangers, people you've never met, or maybe people you do know who wish to remain anonymous, who give selflessly.  Seriously, look at our grant.  $1,460.  I know where about $350 of that came from.  The rest of the money, I really don't know.  And all our fundraisers through ChipIn... I may have gotten emails about each donation, but there were many names I didn't recognize.

When I read about trail magic in every hiking book, I knew there was still a lot of good in the world, even in the little things, like fresh water in just the right spot on the trail.  Through this adoption, I know there is very much good in the world.  Not just in the money given to our grant and to our fundraisers, but also in the kind words from dear friends and people I've never met, and even surprise packages in the mail.

There was a bit of community magic at my house yesterday.  Earlier in the week, I mentioned that Charlie's Soap has been the only detergent that made my towels smell fresh, and yesterday evening, the UPS driver delivered a 32 lb. container of Charlie's Soap detergent to my door, enough to last 3 years, doing a load of laundry a day.  There was no name included, no one to thank for this kind deed.

The world is a good place, full of good people.  So, I have a challenge.  I don't know what prize I'll give yet, but I'll work on that.  Probably a Visa or Amazon gift card.  Running from Friday, June 1 to Sunday, June 3.  Do a bit of community magic, whatever you can do.  Go to ALDI and put a few quarters in the carts, go put change in a drink machine.  Hide a dollar in the toy section of the Dollar Store.  Give a meal to the homeless person on the corner.  Make a donation to an adopting family.  Big or small, do some magic.  Then comment here (it's moderated, so I won't publish the comments) and tell me what you did.

On Monday morning, I'll draw a name from the list of participants.  I promise, you'll feel so good after giving.  But I'll also warn you, it's contagious.  You may find yourself giving a little here, a little there.  And that's okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment